Monday, December 10, 2007

GPS Systems

GPS systems are amazing devices. It takes you anywhere you have to be, or so they say. Navigation systems work to the extent of getting you to major places and major roads, but small side streets your still on your own. I happen to be terrible with directions and tend to get lost going almost anywhere, especially New Jersey. Going to my dance competition had to be the worst experience with getting lost. I had to be at Bridgewater-Raritan Middle School for my competition which was approximately 45 minutes away. I missed the exit off the 287 and thinking I could get off at the next exit and just turn around was the wrong idea. I took that next exit and was lost for 2 1/2 hours. I traveled through almost 10 different townships and traveled through The Oranges and Newark before I could get remotely near home. After I told my mom about this experience she gave me an early Christmas present which was The TomTom, a well-known navigation system. That night my friend and I ventured to the hotel in Bridgewater with the navigation system. It got us there in less than 45 minutes and I was very excited. The next morning I tried to get to that middle school again, keyword tried. We did not have an exact address for the school so we typed in the cross streets because TomTom offers that feature as well. Here’s the big problem with that, the cross street was not listed in the navigation system. A place that I was supposed to get to now in less than 5 minutes took me a literal hour. All in all GPS systems are relatively helpful but still are not 100% efficient.

No comments: